Thursday, March 17, 2005

Bracket filling time

Ok, I said I'd give ya my picks so I'll give ya my picks. The only catch is that since I haven't given a damn about college basketball since the mid nineties, I instead make my picks with a little help from George.

Here's the deal, all winners are picked by flipping a quarter (this year it's a 2001 New York quarter, Philadelphia mint) higher seed heads, underdog tails. The only rule is in the first round, seeds 13-16 have to win two flips to advance. After the first round it's one flip for everybody, if Fairleigh Dickinson manages to knock off Illinois with two flips, they have the same shot as everyone else.

Why do this, you may ask. This is pointless and stupid, you may say. I used to do it for a laugh, to see if my random picks would beat my 'official' (read - tourney pool picks) picks. In 1995, I picked Arizona to win it all, got massively ragged by my buddies for picking a Pac-10 team and watched them get bounced in the first round. Fast forward to 1997. I filled out my bracket, paid my tourney fee, and flipped a bracket for shits and giggles. All four of my heavily researched final four teams were bounced, while my flipped bracket had Virginia and (eventual champs) Arizona in the finals. No matter that George picked the Cavs to cut down the nets, a random flip of the coin beat the bracket that I sweated over for a week. Since then, spite and apathy have eroded my desire to fill out any more brackets, but I still did that flippy thing for a laugh. And NOW with the magic of teh Intarweb, I can share my pointless waste of time with the WORLD! Bwahahahahhaaaaa!

So, without further ado, Here's my Chicago Regional:

1st round:
North Carolina over Oakland
Iowa State over Minnesota
Villanova over New Mexico
Florida over Ohio
N. Iowa over Wisconsin
Kansas over Bucknell
NC State over Charlotte
UConn over Central Florida

2nd Round:

North Carolina over Iowa State
Florida over Villanova
N. Iowa over Kansas
NC State over UConn

Sweet Sixteen:
North Carolina over Florida
NC State over N. Iowa

Elite Eight:
NC State over North Carolina

Chicago Regional Champion - NC State

I'll post the the other regions as the day goes on. Don't worry, the bracket is already filled so don't fret about whether George is cheating or not. Besides, he could never tell a lie...

No comments: